Benefits and money advice

Claiming during coronavirus

Here's some information to help guide you on existing or new benefit claims during coronavirus (COVID-19).

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

  • If you can't work due to coronavirus and are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay, you'll get it from day one, rather than day four of your illness. This will also apply if you're staying at home on government advice, even if you don't have coronavirus.

  • If you need to provide evidence to your employer that you need to stay at home due to having symptoms of coronavirus, you can request an isolation note from NHS 111 online.

  • If you're on a zero-hours contract or a gig economy worker, you may still be entitled to sick pay. Check if you can claim SSP.

Universal Credit

  • If you're not entitled to claim Statutory Sick Pay, you may be able to claim Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowance for help with your living and housing costs. You can claim Universal Credit online or call 0800 328 5644 (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm). When you call, there is like to be very long waiting timing on the line (possibly hours), but it's important you don't hang up because your claim can't be backdated.

  • If you're affected by coronavirus, you'll be able to request a one-month advance payment without physically attending a jobcentre.

  • If you already get Universal Credit and your income has changed, you should report this to your work coach in your online journal or call the helpline.
  • Universal Credit is paid to you directly, which means you're responsible for paying your full rent to us.

    The easiest way to pay is to set up a Direct Debit so that, when your rent's due, it will be taken out of your bank account without you having to do anything.

    Universal Credit will be paid monthly into your bank account.

    • If you don’t already have one, open a bank account. Make sure you can use it to set up direct debits or standing orders to pay your bills.
    • Create a monthly household budget to keep track of your spending across the month.

    Visit Money Advice Service for advice on Universal Credit, bank accounts and budgeting, and use their Universal Credit Money Manager.

If you have savings 

Please note if you and your partner have combined savings of more than £16,000 and both are under state pension age, you will not have any entitlement to universal credit or housing benefit. This means if you submit a new claim for universal credit and you're already receiving legacy benefits such as tax credits, your entitlement to those benefits would end. Important - Please use the benefits calculator before submitting a claim to UC or if you have any concerns contact your housing officer via My Account who can refer you to one of our welfare benefits advisers.

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

If you're suffering from coronavirus or are required to stay at home and want to apply for ESA, it will now be payable from day one. Check if you can claim ESA.  

Other benefits

  • You may already be in receipt of the older style benefits such as Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance (JSA). For these, you should report any changes of circumstances, including any changes of income, by contacting the DWP on 0800 169 0310. Please have your National Insurance number to hand.

  • If you are in receipt of housing benefit/council tax support you should email your local council benefits office if you income has changed or you have had a change of circumstances (ensuring your name, address and claim number is in the subject heading). You should send evidence of your change of income such as a payslip.

  • For tax credits, if you need to report any change of circumstance for an existing claim you can contact 0345 300 3900.

If you have been affected by the Covid-19 outbreak and are worried you may not be able to meet your rent payments, please get in touch with your housing officer straight away.

Other support available

If you're unsure of what to claim, visit Turn2Us  or Entitle to websites.

You can also use Citizens Advice Bureau's (CAB) online chat for any benefits, employment or housing queries. This may be better than attending your local CAB in person if you're self-isolating.