Living in our general needs housing?

Mutual Exchange

Mutual exchange

Find out about mutual exchange with other other social housing tenants.
Internal Transfer

Internal transfer

Find out about how to transfer to another Notting Hill Genesis property.
Family Members

Household members scheme

Find out about opportunities to move if your property is too large or too small for your family.

Move for work or training

Housing Moves lets social housing residents of London's biggest housing associations move home for training or job opportunities.

If you live in London and need to live closer to work or want to take up a job offer but are worried about the travelling, you can apply to move through this scheme.

Move to a smaller property

Social landlords, like us, have a shortage of large, family-sized properties. If your house is too large for your needs, we will do all we can to help you move to a smaller home. This could also help you avoid the spare room subsidy (sometimes called the 'bedroom tax') if you are affected by it.

We can offer a variety of options to make your move easier. Contact your housing officer via My Account for more information.

Buying your home

You may be able to purchase your home. Read more about the Right to Buy and Right to Acquire schemes that are available.

Living in our temporary housing?

Many temporary housing tenants end their tenancy when their local council places them in permanent housing; some tenants move for personal reasons; others are asked to move so that the landlord can carry out major repairs. Choose the circumstance below that applies to you:

I’ve been placed in permanent rented housing by my local council

Many temporary housing tenants end their tenancy when their local council places them in permanent housing. When a permanent rented property becomes available through your local council, you’ll move out of our property.

You’ll need to let us know as soon as you’ve been made an offer of permanent housing. You should also let your Housing Benefit office know.

My property's lease is ending

When a lease for one of our temporary housing properties ends, we’ll either renew it (if given the option by the owner) or we’ll hand the property back to the private landlord.

If we renew the lease, you’ll be able to remain in your home on the new lease. Otherwise, the local authority that referred you to us will decide what alternative housing arrangements to make for you. The final decision about your housing situation lies with them. If possible, we will help you by moving you to another one of our temporary homes.

Leaving your home

If you plan to move out of your home, you need to give your housing officer four weeks' notice in writing. Please get in touch with him/her as soon as you know that you are moving and also let your local housing benefit office know.

If you are transferring to another one of our properties, you will give up the tenancy of your old home when you sign the tenancy agreement for your new one. You need to leave your home in a good state of decoration and repair and remove all furniture and belongings.

You must:

  • Put right any repairs that are your responsibility (for example, changing light bulbs)
  • Make sure the decoration is in good condition so that the next tenant can move in without having to decorate
  • Make sure you take all your belongings with you and clear any rubbish
  • Clean the home, especially kitchen units, fridges, cookers, windows, baths and sinks
  • Leave behind all fixtures and fittings that belong to the owner
  • Empty fridges and freezers of food
  • Contact your housing officer to arrange handing back your keys.