Universal Credit and Covid-19

Covid-19 and the lockdown measures have had a huge impact on people’s incomes and livelihoods.

Universal Credit (UC) can support you if you are working as well as if you are out of work. If you’re not sure whether you are eligible to claim, complete a benefit check online at: www.entitledto.co.uk

Claiming UC:

- You can request an advance payment to cover you before you receive the first payment. You would pay this back once your claim is in place.

- In most cases, money awarded for housing costs will be paid directly to you which you must then pay into your rent account. You can do this by setting up a direct debit or standing order.

- If you have any arrears, you should speak to your housing officer to arrange a re-payment plan. If you have any concerns about paying your arrears or rent, please speak to your housing officer immediately.

We are here to help and support you where we can, and it is always better to raise any concerns or issues with us earlier rather than later. During the lockdown, we have put in place additional welfare benefits support; your housing officer can refer you to this if needed.

Employment, training and debt support:

We work with partner organisations to connect residents to a range of employment and training support, along with debt advice and mental health support.

To search our database and self-refer, go to: www.nhhg.org.uk/residents/support-services/

To receive regular employment, training and debt updates by email, go to: http://eepurl.com/gz3KAT