Repairs and maintenance

We're committed to providing secure homes for our residents and to keeping our properties in a good state of repair.

If there's a repairs or maintenance issue that needs fixing, you can report this via My Account or by contacting your housing officer or PMO. However, please check below which repairs you are responsible for carrying out yourself.

Report a repair

Which repairs are you responsible for?

After you've moved in, there are certain repairs and maintenance we expect you to carry out yourself, and others that are our responsibility. You can find out more about which repairs you are responsible for and which ones we take care of in our resident handbook

  • Tenants

    If you're a tenant, you're responsible for:

    • Internal decorations
    • Repairs to small cracks in plaster or woodwork
    • Repairs to furniture, floor coverings (including carpets, lino, tiles, wooden floors and carpets) or appliances
    • Replacing light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, starters or fuses
    • Fitting smoke and carbon monoxide alarms or replacing batteries
    • Replacing toilet seats, shower heads, hoses and plugs for sinks and baths
    • Installing additional locks or other security features, or replacing keys and changing locks if you are locked out (Note: In an emergency or where your home is not secure we may carry out these works for you, with a charge)
    • Garden or basement clearance and cleaning (except where covered by a service charge) or repairs to any items that have been damaged by you or your guests
    • Repairs to any appliances, fixtures and fittings you’ve installed yourself (e.g. gas cooker), unless these have been specifically approved by us in advance as home improvements. (Note: Any repairs to gas installations such as cookers or gas fires should be carried out by a certified Gas Safe engineer)
    • Any deliberate damage caused to your home, including that caused by members of your family or your guests. It is your responsibility to arrange and pay for these repairs.

    If you're elderly or disabled and you're not able to carry out certain repairs that you are responsible for, please let your housing officer know, and we can arrange for an alternative.

    We're responsible for all other repairs to your property and for providing planned and cyclical maintenance services to your home, such as property painting and roof repair.

  • Homeowners


    Although you'll need to check your lease to work out your specific responsibilities, as a homeowner you'll typically be responsible for the repair and maintenance of everything inside your home. 

    This can include:

    • Individual front doors and locks
    • Window glass
    • Service media, such as pipes, wires or vents, that only serve your property
    • Internal gas, smoke or CO2 alarms.

    You are also responsible for any pipes, cables and so on which serve only your home and any damage caused by faults within your home, such as leaks from your home into the flat beneath.

    The structure, fixtures and fittings of your property (such as the kitchen cupboards or bathroom suite) are insured under our buildings policy. However, you'll need to make sure you have suitable contents insurance for your personal possessions.

    You're not generally responsible for repairs to the structure of the building, and areas or services provided to all residents in a block or on an estate. These are the responsibility of whoever owns the property.

    If you live in a building we own and manage, we provide a repairs service to maintain the structure of the building and the shared areas of your building or estate.

    Where there is a superior landlord we must relay any report to them or their appointed managing agent though you may also be able to report to them directly.


    Maintenance refers to any regular or planned work that's necessary to keep your building or estate in sound working order and a good aesthetic condition.

    Equipment such as communal boilers or lifts need regular inspections and maintenance in order to prevent faults and degradation, but ‘maintenance’ can refer to anything undertaken to preserve and extend the life of the building. It can also refer to cosmetic works such as internal painting.

    Read about other homeowner rights and responsibilities.


Note that our cleaning and gardening service contracts are often organisation-wide, benefiting residents from the savings that come from only having to manage one contract as opposed to several. This helps ensure lower management costs and set uniform standards across all the properties that we manage.