Moving home

If you’re renting with us, there are a number of reasons why you may move home.

You have a variety of options available to you, from swapping for a smaller or larger home through mutual exchange, to transferring through Locata or Homefinder, to moving for work or training.

Living in our general needs housing?

If you're a general needs tenant and ready to move to a new place, you have a number of options available to you:

  • Swap your home (mutual exchange)

    One of the quickest ways to move is to find someone who wants to swap their property with yours. This is called a ‘mutual exchange’. It’s a particularly good option if you want or need to move to a smaller or larger property.

    Please see our mutual exchange page for more information. Also, get in touch with your housing officer via My Account, who can advise you if there are any potential properties in the area you would like to move to.

  • Transfer to another property


    You can use the Locata choice-based lettings scheme to transfer to another property. 

    We only have a small number of properties available for customers to transfer to through Locata and it can take several years to move home this way. Swapping your home is normally the quickest and easiest way to move (see above).

    Locata is used by many councils and housing associations in West London, and lets you 'bid' for a new available property to rent. Full details of how to bid can be found on Locata Home - How it works.  Your housing officer can help you with any part of the process.

    Everyone on Locata is assigned to one of four priority bands (A, B, C or D) based on their housing need. The person with the highest priority is the person in band A who has been registered for the longest time. The person with the lowest priority is the person in band D who has registered mostly recently.

    Logging onto Locata home

    When logging in or signing up to the Locata website, you will be asked to select a 'partner' (landlord). Previously you could choose either NHH or Genesis but that has now changed to Notting Hill Genesis (NHG). 


    You can use Homefinder to bid for vacant properties owned by both us and other registered housing associations.

    This scheme covers properties in London and the rest of the UK, so is really useful if you're looking to move to a different part of the country. You can register through the website and the process is quick and simple; if you do have any difficulties contact your housing officer who will be happy to help.

  • Moving scheme for household members

    A household member is someone who lives with a tenant as a family member, usually a child. This scheme gives adult household members the opportunity to move into their own, separate accommodation.

    To apply for the scheme, complete the application form and return it to your housing manager or have your scheme questions answered.

  • Move for work or training

    Housing Moves lets social housing residents of London's biggest housing associations move home for training or job opportunities.

    If you live in London and need to live closer to work or want to take up a job offer but are worried about the travelling, you can apply to move through this scheme.

  • Move to a smaller property

    Social landlords, like us, have a shortage of large, family-sized properties. If your house is too large for your needs, we will do all we can to help you move to a smaller home. This could also help you avoid the spare room subsidy (sometimes called the 'bedroom tax') if you are affected by it.

    We can offer a variety of options to make your move easier. Contact your housing officer via My Account for more information.

  • Buying your home

    You may be able to purchase your home. Read more about the Right to Buy and Right to Acquire schemes that are available.

Living in our temporary housing?

Many temporary housing tenants end their tenancy when their local council places them in permanent housing; some tenants move for personal reasons; others are asked to move so that the landlord can carry out major repairs. Choose the circumstance below that applies to you:

  • I’ve been placed in permanent rented housing by my local council

    Many temporary housing tenants end their tenancy when their local council places them in permanent housing. When a permanent rented property becomes available through your local council, you’ll move out of our property.

    You’ll need to let us know as soon as you’ve been made an offer of permanent housing. You should also let your Housing Benefit office know.

  • My property's lease is ending

    When a lease for one of our temporary housing properties ends, we’ll either renew it (if given the option by the owner) or we’ll hand the property back to the private landlord.

    If we renew the lease, you’ll be able to remain in your home on the new lease. Otherwise, the local authority that referred you to us will decide what alternative housing arrangements to make for you. The final decision about your housing situation lies with them. If possible, we will help you by moving you to another one of our temporary homes.

Leaving your home

If you plan to move out of your home, you need to give your housing officer four weeks' notice in writing. Please get in touch with him/her as soon as you know that you are moving and also let your local housing benefit office know.

If you are transferring to another one of our properties, you will give up the tenancy of your old home when you sign the tenancy agreement for your new one. You need to leave your home in a good state of decoration and repair and remove all furniture and belongings.

You must:

  • Put right any repairs that are your responsibility (for example, changing light bulbs)
  • Make sure the decoration is in good condition so that the next tenant can move in without having to decorate
  • Make sure you take all your belongings with you and clear any rubbish
  • Clean the home, especially kitchen units, fridges, cookers, windows, baths and sinks
  • Leave behind all fixtures and fittings that belong to the owner
  • Empty fridges and freezers of food
  • Contact your housing officer to arrange handing back your keys.