What is abuse?

There are many different types and patterns of abuse and neglect and varying circumstances in which abuse and neglect can take place.

Abuse may be:

  • Sexual
  • Physical
  • Financial or Material
  • Organisational abuse
  • Discriminatory abuse
  • Domestic violence
  • Modern slavery
  • Psychological abuse
  • Self neglect
  • Neglect and acts of omission
  • Hate crime.

Adult safeguarding aims to stop abuse or neglect wherever possible and to support our residents to make choices and have control over how they want to live.

Who might abuse someone?

Anyone can carry out abuse or neglect, including:

  • Spouses and partners
  • Other family members
  • Neighbours
  • Friends
  • Acquaintances
  • Local residents
  • Paid staff and professionals
  • Volunteers and strangers.

Abuse can happen anywhere – in a resident's own home, in the street or in our extra care services.

What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. For children and young people, safeguarding means promoting their welfare, protecting them from maltreatment, preventing impairment of their health and development, and ensuring that they grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care.

How we work to prevent harm and abuse

Adult safeguarding means working alongside other organisations to prevent and stop both the risk and experience of abuse or neglect while respecting our residents' views, feelings and wishes.

  • We will work with our residents to establish what being safe means to them. Our residents, children and young people have the right to live safely and free from harm
  • We will actively promote awareness of adult and child safeguarding across Notting Hill Genesis to ensure we are taking a proactive approach and empowering our staff to be clear about the roles and responsibilities under safeguarding.
  • Our safeguarding work is underpinned by the six principles which govern safeguarding: Empowerment, prevention, proportionality, protection, partnership and accountability.
  • We will work under the ethos of making safeguarding personal. This means we will work in a person-centred and outcome-focused manner.

I'm concerned for myself or somebody else. What should I do?

If there is an immediate risk to a child, young person, adult or yourself, please contact the police.

If you have concerns about the well-being of a child, young person or adult, you can report your concerns to a member of staff, their line manager or a senior manager. If the abuse is being carried out by a manager, then you can report it to higher management on 020 8357 5000.

You can also raise a safeguarding concern directly with the local authority, the lead organisation in safeguarding.

If you have concerns about our extra care services, you can also contact the Care Quality Commission on 030 0061 6161.

How we will help

We will treat your concerns with confidence, but we cannot guarantee confidentiality. If you raise concerns regarding a child or young person, we may need to share the details with other agencies in order for them to investigate further.

If you raise concerns regarding another adult which place him or her at risk of harm or neglect, we may need to share the details with the local authority and other agencies in order for them to investigate further.

If you raise concerns regarding your own well-being, we will discuss this with you and work with you to empower you to safeguard yourself. We will also discuss with you whether you would like a safeguarding concern to be raised. There may be occasions where we need to raise a safeguarding concern with the local authority, as other residents may be at risk or a crime may have been committed.

We will offer help to support you in coping with the effects of the abuse or neglect you have experienced or witnessed, as well as signpost you to specialist organisations.

Which organisations offer specialised advice and support?

There are other organisations you can contact for advice and support, advice and information about a range of issues.

National Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)

Refuge: 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)

Women's Aid: 0808 200 0247 (24 hours)

Rights of Women

Support for children and teenagers:

The Hideout

NSPCC: 0808 800 5000

ChildLine: 0800 1111

Men's Advice Line: 0808 801 0327

ManKind: 0808 801 0327

Survivors UK Ltd: 0845 122 1201

Everyman Project: 0207 263 8884

MPower: 01603 622406

Rape Crisis: 0808 802 9999

Honour Network Helpline: 0800 599 9247

Action on Elder Abuse: 0808 808 8141

Age UK: 0800 169 2081

National Stalking Helpline: 0808 802 0300

Respect Helpline: 0808 802 4040

Broken Rainbow: 0300 999 5428 (helpline), 0800 999 5428 (freephone)

Action on Hearing Loss: 0808 808 0123 (telephone), 0808 808 9000 (textphone), 0780 0000 360 (SMS)

Royal National Institute for the Blind: 0845 766 9999

Mencap, 0808 808 1111, help@mencap.org.uk

Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 (telephone), 08457 90 91 92 (textphone)

Sane Line: 0300 304 7000

Victim Support Line: 0845 30 30 900

Mind: 0845 7660163

Respond: 0808 808 0700

Local social services and local voluntary agencies (your local council will have contact details for organisations in your area)

Shelterline: 0808 800 4444

Care Quality Commission: 03000 616161