Alterations and improvements

If you'd like to make any home alterations or improvements, you’ll need to get written permission from us before you start any work.

Failure to gain consent from us is a breach of your tenancy or lease and could result in punitive action being taken by either NHG or the superior landlord, in the case of certain homeowners.

Please note that you are not permitted to carry out any alterations or improvements in communal areas.

  • Tenants

    There are a number of home improvements you can make to your home, including DIY (do-it-yourself) improvements, however there are certain procedures to follow. You'll need to contact your housing officer via My Account, who will guide you through the application process. You may need approval from more than just us, such as planning permission from the local council.

    Making your home more accessible

    We can provide a wide range of equipment and make minor to major adaptations to help you stay independent and enjoy your home. These are tailored to the requirements of tenants who are elderly, disabled or have special needs such as mobility or visual impairments.

    Minor adaptations

    If you need minor adaptations to your home, contact your housing officer or support worker to explain the problem you are having. Your housing officer will arrange for an accredited assessor to assess your needs. Our specialist contractor will make any adaptations that are required in your home within 28 days of the assessment. Examples of minor adaptations are:

    • Fitting simple ramps
    • Removing door edgings
    • Fitting support rails in the main entrance
    • Fitting stair rails and grab rails inside your home
    • Moving sockets
    • Fitting lever taps and safety glass
    • Installing flashing doorbells and extra outside lighting.

    Major adaptations

    If you need major adaptations to your home, you should contact your local council or social services and ask for an assessment from an occupational therapist. The occupational therapist will visit you to assess your needs and will then send a referral to our Aids and Adaptations Team. Our Aids and Adaptations Team will appoint a specialist to manage the work in your home and we will keep you up to date on progress. Examples of major adaptations are:

    • Fitting lifts on stairs or through floors
    • Removing a bath and fitting walk-in or wet-floor showers
    • Sitting shower toilets for disabled people
    • Fitting hoists to the ceiling
    • Making adaptations to the kitchen or lowering kitchen units.

    Read more about our housing with care and support.

    Additions to your home

    You can fit things such as TV aerials and satellite dishes (which may need planning permission) but they are your responsibility.

    If you want to carry out any other kind of improvement (for example, fitting your own central heating, gas fire or shower units), these become our property and you will not be able to take them with you if you move.

    Replacing existing fixtures

    If you have replaced existing fixtures, you must return these to us. We are not able to refund the cost of carrying out the improvement but we will take over responsibility for maintenance when we have inspected and approved the work. We will not increase your rent as a result of any improvements you make to your home.


    At the end of your tenancy you may be entitled to compensation for some improvements that you have carried out with our permission in writing. Your housing officer can give you more information on your right to make improvements to your home.

    More information

    You can find lots of information and advice online, such as Julian Cassell's DIY blog. Make sure you have the right tools and skills before doing any DIY. We don't want anyone losing fingers, thumbs or worse!


  • Homeowners

    How do I apply for alterations or improvements?

    1. Check the terms of your lease to see if written permission can be granted for the works you have in mind.
    2. Contact your property management officer (PMO) via My Account to let them know about the work you plan to do and provide the required documentation.
    3. You may need to provide other information if the work would affect the structure of the building, is extensive, needs planning permission or involves building control.
    4. Your PMO will assess your application and let you know whether or not permission can be granted. If further documents are required you will be informed at this stage.

    How much will it cost?

    We charge a non-refundable administration fee of £75 to process your request for permission for alterations or improvements.

    If a surveyor needs to review your application, you may need to pay their additional fees to assess the application and for any subsequent inspection required. There may also be legal costs and fees involved.

    Do I need to seek anyone else’s permission too?

    If you need planning permission or other type of building consent, you must apply for and pay for that permission or consent before we can consider your application.

    Where there is a superior landlord to Notting Hill Genesis it is likely that their consent must also be granted. If that is the case you must seek their consent by fulfilling any criteria they set and make payment of any fees which are due. You should be aware that this will often lengthen the process of being granted consent.

    If your application is successful you will be able to carry out the alteration or improvement to your home.

    Download our guide to carrying out alterations or improvements.