We (or the property owner) are responsible for insuring the building, but not leaseholders’ personal belongings. You should take out your own contents insurance as it is essential that your belongings are protected.

Your freeholder (usually us) is responsible for making sure that your building, and the estate your building sits on, is properly insured. This will include the communal areas, such as hallways, gardens, car parks, etc. It will also include the structure of your building, as well as the fixtures and fittings inside your home (such as kitchen cupboards or your bathroom fixtures). This service is covered through the service charge you pay, as set out in your lease.

Although we will attempt as close an estimate as possible for this annual cost, it can vary due to inflation or following any claims that are made. The estimates will also be set some time before we are aware of the final cost.

Note: This information relates to buildings insurance we have arranged. Leaseholders living in buildings that are owned by somebody else should refer to the insurance certificate for their building. For further information you can speak to your PMO.

Building insurance

As above, Notting Hill Genesis or your landlord will usually insure your building, the structure of your building and communal areas, such as hallways, gardens, car parks, etc. against damage and peril. The policy will also generally cover fixtures and fittings but what is covered will differ from scheme to scheme depending on the circumstances and legal relationships. Here are some common examples of what our insurance policy may cover in cases of loss or damage to the building caused by:

  • Fire, smoke, lightning, explosion
  • Storm or flood
  • Freezing water in fixed water or fixed heating systems
  • Trace and access
  • Locks and keys
  • Squatter’s damage and removal
  • Fly tipping
  • Malicious damage, vandalism, theft
  • Subsidence
  • Fallen trees
  • Fallen aerials

How to make a claim

To find out more about what your insurance covers, please log an enquiry via My Account through the ‘My enquires’ section of your dashboard. Your Property Management Officer (PMO) will provide you with a copy of your insurance policy. If you wish to raise a claim, please also log this via My Account, and our insurance team will respond to you with the next steps.

Alternatively, if it’s an emergency, you can log a claim with the insurance company directly by calling 01245 341 241. In the event of an emergency happening outside of office hours, take whatever action is necessary to prevent further damage to your property and call the above number for advice on what to do next.

Alternative accommodation

If you believe your home is uninhabitable, you can contact the building insurance provider on the number above. They can advise what costs are covered if you need to arrange alternative accommodation. Please note, once the insurer has assessed your claim, they may ask a loss adjuster to visit and assess the damage.

If it is out of hours, you can contact the nominated loss adjuster, Sedgewicks, directly on 0345 604 8580 who will be able to give you more specific advice and assistance.

Your local authority might also have temporary accommodation available until you are able to make more permanent arrangements. Please be aware that we are unable to place you in alternative accommodation.

Out-of-hours contact

If you need to contact us outside of our working hours of 9am to 5pm, please contact your local officer and you will be diverted to our emergency out-of-hours team.

Flood contacts

The Environment Agency has a Floodline service with trained specialist support officers who provide 24/7 advice during and after floods, you can reach them by calling 0345 988 1188. The National Flood Forum also has a wealth of practical information on how to recover from flooding – they provide guidance on topics including reinstating your property and supporting children after a flood.

Landlord’s insurance

If you are renting out your property, then you will need landlord’s insurance. This differs from home insurance and will provide you with financial protection. It is also necessary to let us know if you are a landlord so we can inform our insurers and ensure our buildings insurance is not voided.