New partnership to support EU nationals gain settled status

If you’re an EU, European Economic Area or Swiss citizen, you, your children and your close family members (including non-EU family members) need to apply to the EU Settlement scheme to continue living in the UK. You must apply to protect you and your family’s rights around employment, healthcare and social security benefits in the UK.

We are working with Settled to support Notting Hill Genesis residents going through this process.

Who is covered by the EU Settlement Scheme?

Nationals of all the 27 EU countries are affected: Slovakia, Romania, Hungary, Poland, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Estonia, Austria, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Greece, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Malta and Ireland.

You must also apply if you’re a national of Switzerland or the EEA countries: Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

What is Settled Status and Pre-Settled Status?

There are two categories: 

    • Settled Status- for applicants with five years continuous residence in the UK when they apply 
    • Pre-settled Status - for those who have not yet lived continuously in the UK for five years.

You can apply for Settled Status when you reach five years of continuous residence or when your pre-Settled Status expires but you must have lived in the UK for at least six months in each of those five years.

What do you need to apply?

  • A valid passport or ID document 
  • A National Insurance number is optional, but it helps to have it to hand if you have one 
  • An email address and mobile phone number to allow you to continue your application process online.

Also, non-EU citizens will need evidence of their relationship to the EU citizen and their biometric residence permit if they have one. If you are applying for your children, you need to provide evidence such as birth certificates.

How much does it cost?

The application is free and based on residence only. You do not have to be in work to apply.

When do I need to apply by?

The very latest you should apply is 30 June 2021. However, it’s advisable to apply by 31 December 2020, which is the end of the transition period.

What happens if I don’t apply?

If you, your children and close family members don’t apply, you could lose the right to stay and work in the UK. Your access to public funds such as benefits, housing and healthcare could also be affected.

What happens to holders of Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and Permanent Residence (PR)?

If you have a Permanent Residence Document or Registration Certificate you must apply for Settled Status.

If you were registered on the Workers Registration scheme you must apply for Settled Status.

If you have indefinite Leave to Remain you do not need to apply, but if you do it will give you more protection and additional rights.

What family members are covered?

Everyone in your family must apply including partners and children.

How to apply?

You can download an app called "EU Exit: ID Document check"

The app can scan your Passport or other ID documents that contain a biometric card and you can take a photo of yourself to prove your identity. After that you complete the application on your phone or online.

For help with using the EU Exit: ID Document Check watch this video


Issues scanning documents

Due to Covid-19, many scanning facilities are not open. If you’re unable to scan in order to obtain the documents you need for the application, you might be able to find help if you contact these organisations funded by the Home Office.

If your ID documents don’t have a biometric chip, you can send them by registered post to the Home Office.

You may be asked to provide additional evidence such as utility bills, bank statements and payslips. Please make sure the name on the bills matches the name on your passport or ID.

Our partnership with Settled - what to do if you need help or support?

We are partnering with Settled to support our residents. Settled is a UK wide organisation that helps EU citizens apply for Settled Status. Settled have an army of volunteers up and down the country who can help you with the process. Please note advisers are only able to assist with straight forward applications. If your case is more complex, they will help to signpost you to other organisations that can help with your situation.

For more information, please visit or submit the form to self-refer.

Please also speak to your housing officer if you are having any issues with your benefit claims because of the habitual residence test or your immigration status. We have an inhouse welfare benefits team who will try to assist (please note we are not qualified to provide immigration advice but we will try to connect you to specialist support where required).

If you’re struggling with completing your application due to lack of access to the internet, please speak to your housing officer so the resident support team can try to assist.

Case study

*Andrea and her two daughters are from Spain and have lived in the UK for many years. Andrea speaks little English and is a carer for her eldest daughter with learning difficulties. She moved from JSA to Universal Credit (UC) and started encountering problems. She was turned down for UC and support with her housing costs as she did not satisfy the habitual residence test. Andrea and her family found themselves living off her daughter’s personal independence payment (PIP) of £440 per month for nine months to pay for everything. Due to challenges in her life along with language barriers, Andrea found it difficult to manage her paperwork and affairs and so struggled to provide the required evidence online.

Our Resident Support Team referred Andrea and her daughters to Settled. Luckily one of their advisers was able to speak to Andrea in her native language and supported her and her daughters to complete their Settled Status applications. The benefits team had already assisted the eldest daughter to claim Personal Independence Payments and continued working on the case to resolve her ongoing UC claim. She now has enough money to live.

*Names and country of origin have been changed in this case study for the purposes of confidentiality.